I have seen dead single coils on frods and Mercedes, and probably some others I have forgotten. It is pretty rare though. I just get lucky!

At 01:32 PM 6/14/2009, you wrote:
Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com> writes:

> Boy these stories sure make me want to run right out and buy some of
> that "wonderful" Japanese iron!  (not)   2 failures in 80k!   Makes
> sending Rusty $50 or $100 now and then to keep a Mercedes running seem
> cheap!   Not that Detriot iron is any better.   But I have had good
> service form Dorge Caravans.   No COP crap on mine!

yeah 8 coils instead of one, your probability of failure is 8x greater.
Of course now the failure does not leave your vehicle dead on the side
of the road, so maybe it's worth the trade off?

OTOH I've *never* had a traditional coil fail in any car I've owned
since I was 18.

Allan
--
1983 300D