leak but who knows, maybe that's all it is.  I tried my tire core tool

It doesn't take much to leak it all away.

on it to see if I could tigten it but it would not fit around the barrel
of the valve.

Odd.  Mine doesn't go around the barrel, it goes down inside
and over the pin.  Works fine on tires and AC valves.  Cheap
thing, too.  Hemostats work, too.  I've had several valves that
were loose and that's all the significant leak there was.  The
vibration and heat cycling works them loose with time.

I assume that the valve cores are not interchangable with a tire valve
core, right?

No, they're not exactly the same.  Very similar.  I think NAPA
carries them.  It's where the local rip-off AC shop gets their stuff.

-- Jim