I was thinking about this new cash for clunkers program that starts tomorrow
and was wondering whether it would smart to take advantage of it.  I have a
very nice 1993 Cadillac Sedan Deville.  As I understand the requirements of the
program

 1.  Owner must have owned the car for at least one year
 2.  Must trade it in on a NEW car
 3.  it must be 1984-2001 model year
 4.  It must get 18 mpg (combined) as calculated by EPA on their website
fueleconomy.gov
 5.  To get the full $4500, the new car must get at least 10 mpg better.

My Cadillac qualifies (in a few months - I haven't had it a year). So, the
question I am wrestling with is this:  Is it worth it?

I hate buying a brand new car.  If it was my car (as opposed to my wife's), I
would not be able to sell it/trade it every 9-12 months.  I would lose money
trying to sell a new car that quickly.  HOWEVER, my car is certainly not worth
$4500 and not taking advantage of this is like lose a few thousand dollars.  On
the other hand, if I bought a new car, those monthly car payments would eat up
the $4500 pretty quick.  I don't really see any new car that is all that
exciting at least not in the price range I would interested in.    Thoughts?

Donald H. Snook