IMO nobody with financial sense would buy a new car, regardless of their income level, because of the enormous instant depreciation when the car goes from being labeled as "new" to "used" the second the title is transferred into your name. I know several people who are extremely wealthy, and most drive used (but new condition) cars they purchase with cash. People I know who have new cars are generally low income and live month to month and think of things only in terms of monthly payments rather than long term costs.

Somebody a few days ago said to me "it's great that you can drive these old Mercedes, but it wouldn't work for most people unless they knew how to do all of their own work." I really doubt that even paying a shop to maintain an 80s diesel Benz like an aircraft and keep it in perpetual new condition, would cost as much as the payments on the cheapest of new cars. And a well maintained older Benz only has maintenance costs- it will resell for it's purchase price.

There seems to be some sort of myth that an older car is less reliable, which is often used to justify the purchase of a new one. In my opinion reliability problems are virtually always due to maintenance issues, and have almost nothing to do with the age (or mileage) of a car beyond the fact that people are more likely to neglect needed work on an older car (but that's up to the owner)!

Tyler

LarryT wrote:
That's always made me wonder too - a $30k car (average price these days) with a DP of say, $5000 in the form of a trade in and you're still financing $25k. Even at a cut rate interest rate od 3.99% the monthly payment is ~$460/mo. Add a house/apt - $800 min - and you're up to $1260. add food and you're at $1560 which is $18720 per year. To make that you;d need to earn ~$25000 per year. But to be realistic you need little details like insurance, gas, maintanence, utilities (not insignificant) so it's hard to image how people afford new cars much less $50K SUVs.

LarryT