Can you just get the inspection done again at a different station? I'm not sure how the inspection works over there...

Don't remove the tint from any glass- it will be extremely difficult, and tint is a nice thing to have! Worst case scenario, go to a junkyard and buy a whole set of clear glass and a rear hatch- should be less than $100. You can install it in an afternoon, and keep the old tinted windows for possible future re-installation, or to resell to someone elsewhere whom can use it legally.

Definitely don't try removing the back glass, or scraping it. It will probably break before it comes out (but the side glass is probably fairly easy with proper technique).

Tyler

andrew strasfogel wrote:
Well, this morning DC motor vehicle inspection got me big time.  :(

I was told to REMOVE all the window tinting on my 85 300TD wagon to comply
with their rules & regulations.  Major bummer.  Has anyone BTDT and can
recommend a plan of action for me?  There are a grand total of 7 glass panes
that I must scrape and treat, including the rear hatch glass.  The latter is
my biggest concern - I don't want to break any of the sensor wires.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
1983 300TD - tinted windows, passed DC inspection 4/08
1985 300TD - tinted windows, failed inspection 7/09