Dwight wrote: "I don't know. Regular dino gear oil used to come in 90 and 120.
WE used 120 to quiet a noisy dif with 90.
Don't know about bacon-some old timers used a bit of sawdust."

That brings up an interesting story on my new car. I was thinking about
changing the gear oil in the rear difference just as a matter of maintenance.
So, I called the local Mercury dealer to find out what the service interval was
and what kind of fluid it had in it.  They said it should be changed at 105,000
because it has synthetic fluid.  The Ford dealer said no, it is just regular
80-90W, but does not need to be changed until 100,000.   So, I looked in the
owners manual and it says, the rear end should NEVER be changed unless it was
exposed to water.

Donald H. Snook