When the temp reaches the 100C mark, pop the reservoir cap and see if there is a pressure release. The cap should hold 1.2 Bar, or 18psi. That is what went wrong and caused my SDL to overheat last summer on a trip to Albuquerque. If that is not the problem, flush the cooling system with Rusty's Citric Acid flush and use new Zerex G-05 coolant. If none of this cures the problem, you might need to budget a new radiator $350....

Luther, been there, done that.

Angelo Giaimo wrote:
OK.....so I thought I had an overheating issue with my 350SDL after I got
the A/C charged.   Don't know if I still do.

1'st outing with the car, about a month ago, temp reached over 110C. (Needle
between 100 and 120 Mark) with the A/C on.  Shut her down and noticed liquid
running out from under the front pass side of the car, (Like under the air
cleaner).  Traced leak back to a bad hose that leaked under pressure between
the reservoir and the radiator.  New hose later, no leak but temp still
rising above 100C with the AC on and aux fans not kicking in.  Changed
therno switch at the front of the block.....fixed that problem.

Now, the engine's running @ temp. (80-85C), and stays stable.  (verified
with a laser/spot thermometer on the thermostat.) BUT the gauge inside the
car slowly creeps up from 80-85C to nearly 100C, over 15-20 minutes.  (NOTE,
this time, the fans never kicked in as the actual temp was only 80-85C).

Question:  What would cause the temperature difference between what we read
with the laser/spot thermo and what the dash gauge reads?  Anyone ever see
this before?

Thanks!

Angelo Giaimo
1990 350SDL; 276K miles.....and still ticking. <vbg>

--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (294,xxx mi)