From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of j...@windwireless.net
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 11:07 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Dash console dead - 1981 300SD

The flasher will whine/buzz if there's a load on it
even when the switch (to the lamps) is off.  I found
this out when I hooked up an auxiliary clacker
relay in the SL, but did it 'wrong'.

In normal operation it flashes when it sees a
full load on it, and waits quietly until it does see
such a load.  Remember that it's calibrated to
flash faster under a too-light load, as a lamp-out
warning.  Taken to extremes apparently it can
get to the buzz/whine point.

Pull the flasher and measure the resistance from
the output socket pin to ground, there should be
infinite resistance unless a turn signal or hazard
switch is engaged.  I'm guessing it's a leaky/dirty
hazard switch that's letting some current, at a
non-illuminating level, travel through it.  Regardless,
I'm thinking you'll find a parasitic leak, and your
job is to chase it down and kill it.

-- Jim