I've got an embarrassing fix- The other day I was "stuck" in downtown Los Angeles at night in my Volvo 740 Turbo wagon. The solenoid would only click- not turn the motor over, and to make matters worse I was parked too far from the curb on a busy street. Horns would blare as soon as I got the drivers door open half way!

I preceded to bang on the starter with a 5 foot sledge hammer, to no avail. I banged harder and harder from different angles in darkness, but nothing worked. Eventually I realized I had broken off the solenoid wire with the hammer, so I wired a new one to the battery. At this point I realized the large starter wire on the battery had simply slid out of the connector. I temporarily replaced this with a jumper cable, and jumped the solenoid with a section of wire and it fired right up! Triumphantly I waited for a gap in traffic and prepared to drive off.

Once I got inside the car, the car wouldn't respond to throttle, and the battery was reading only 10v. I got back out, and realized I had destroyed a throttle linkage rod with the hammer, and the alternator wire no longer made good contact with the battery terminal either. I made a temporary throttle linkage from some spare electrical wire, and I wired in the alternator with the jumper cable I had used to run the starter!

So far so good, the car drove off perfectly. A few minutes later on the freeway the headlight started to dim- the alternator was no longer charging. I searched and searched for an exit or shoulder to pull off in, but there was nothing for what seemed like miles and miles. I shut off my headlights a few times, but it didn't seem the safest thing to do in the aggressive high speed traffic of Los Angeles.

Finally I made it to an exit, reconnected the jumper cable which had slid off the alternator, and made it back home without issues. A couple seconds with a crescent wrench on the battery terminal would have prevented all of this!

Tyler
'87 190D Turbo

winmutt wrote:
I have ignored 2 issues on my car for many moons now, sometimes failing starter and sometimes faling back window. I assumed the worst for both, sticky solenoid for the starter and bad wiring for the window. With the starter I would hit it with ye old 9 iron and it would start fine. The window seemed to come and go as my daughter would get in and out of the car. Well last week my wife made a comment about how the starter issue reminded her of my first car when we first met. Needless to say I wasn't going to take that laying down!

Sunday I headed down to the junkyard for a starter and the second car I looked in was pure gold, turbo and trans were gone and the starter was all but hanging there. I got back home and got the car up and started undoing the wiring for the starter. Much to my suprise I found the signal wire to be loose! I screwed it down and voila! starts everytime.

I started testing the switch at the door and found the + signal dead on g+b wire. Tracked it down to just a dirty switch at the center console, another easy fix!

Nothing beats cold ice tea on a sunday afternoon in the hammock and the satisfaction of a job well done (without even breaking a sweat).

-Rolf