Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak in the header pipe, or exhaust manifold.

hue wong wrote:
Hi all!   I wanted to ask a quick question for the group mind before I started
google-digging.

I think it's been answered before here, or at least I have a vague memory of
the topic from a year or so back...

I have a '84 300d (turbo) and I have let her sit for the last two years.  Last
week I fired her up, (and she started up no problems)  let her warm up for
about 15-20 minutes and then proceeded to drive her lightly each day since then.

I have noticed a few things I need to fix starting with new injectors and fule
lines/filters as there seems to be a slight "rattle" from somewhere up there
and I figure new injectors is a great place to start.. and some other minor things, but
there is one new noise that I can't place.

So, when I hit about 20 mph I will start to hear a slight ticking from what
appears to be behind the glove box.   As I drive faster the clicking reves up
and gets loader and faster in synch with the engine.

When I idle back down to about 20, it  slows down and goes away.

Does anyone know what this could be?  Is there a vacuum pump up inside the dash
or on the other side of the firewall?  ( I seem to remember that there may be)
Could it be door lock pump or some such up in there?   I think I have some
slight vacuum leaks in general as she seem to shift a bit hard and the door
locks are slow.... it may be the/this pump????

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

-hue-
Lungren: '71 280 SEL
Helgra:   '84 300td
Olfenhiganster: '68 190

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com