It was perfectly safe and stable, and easily drove over 1,000 miles- including the steepest mountain pass in the US freeway system. I added rear spring spacers to level out the car, and adjusted the headlights to the correct level. I have a custom made hitch that is approximately as heavy duty as what you'd see on a 1 ton truck. Also, the trailer contents were readjusted somewhat after that photo to reduce the tongue weight- but the entire volume of the trailer was filled, mostly with books and tools! I did drive it very easy, and stayed under 55mph to be safe. There was no sway or braking problems at all, even coming through the Siskiyou pass.

The car was modified with a locking rear differential, and enormous transmission cooler, all synthetic fluids, rear spring spacers, high boiling point brake fluid, ceramic brake pads, an engine temperature monitor, and a transmission temperature gauge among other things.

The Volvo 700 series is basically built like a small pickup truck...

The key to making it safe is setting the car up properly, and driving very conservatively. If one were to take a stock Volvo wagon, and drive it like it didn't have a trailer (like I see most people with large pickups and trailers doing) they'd certainly lose control of the rig.

Tyler

Curt Raymond wrote:
Can do and can safely do are 2 different things. That second picture of yours
is clearly NOT safe. Theres either too much tounge weight on the trailer or too
much weight in the back of the car. At night the car's lights will blind
oncoming drivers. Also the ass end of the car will wallow and make the front
wheels light. Not safe.

I can't remember what you've got for a Volvo, I checked trailerhitches.com for
an '87 760 wagon which is rated for 3300#. Remember thats the maximum weight
with the trailer. '97 850 wagon gets 3500#.

A 300D's towing capacity with brakes is something like 3300# so a TD should be
the same or slightly more.
Safe towing is not just about having brakes although thats real important, its
about having enough weight so when the wind or a big hill is trying to move
everything all sideways the downpressure on your tires is enough to prevent
it...

-Curt