Video editors too, we've had one screen for playback and one for bins for
years...

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:03:18 -0700
From: Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Macs looking for a home Was: first impressions on
    snow    leopard
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Redghost <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> First no monitor mac was the plain Mac II. ?Huge box with six NUBUS slots.

Six slots, any or all of which could be filled with a video card, with
OS support to use them to display a single contiguous workspace
regardless of the size or resolution of the monitors attached.  I
remember in 1987 being blown away by a floor display at an Apple
dealer of a Mac II with four or five monitors gratuitously attached
simultaneously---some large, some small, some color, some B/W (the
late, lamented 2-bit grayscale Apple Portrait Display, I believe).

This was 15 years or so before Windows machines could reliably offer
this feature, and I don't think anyone really grokked its significance
at the time except Photoshop users, who soon cottoned to the idea of
putting your document window on one big monitor and your toolbars,
palettes, etc. on a second, smaller one.  Some people are only just
now getting it---you still see articles and blog entries in the
corporate IT press with titles like "Use Two Monitors For Greater
Productivity!"

Alex