From: "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 9:56 PM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] W124 Motor Mounts

Much easier than the old ones.

Chief difficulties are access to the top bolt and dropping the lower hexhead into the frame while installing.

Loosen top and bottom bolts -- on the diesel, the right side is a pain since the mount is under the turbo and is only accessable from underneath with a flex-head ratchet, and it's usually also stuck. Lower bolts require dropping the lower sound encapsulation panel (usually one piece on the gassers, two on the diesel, and both have to come out).

Jack engine, remove both bolts and remove heat shield and mount. New mount will usually be somewhat taller than the old one, so jack the engine some more. Mounts are keyed into the engine carrier. Start bottom bolt first, then top bolt. Helps to leave some slack so you can move then around, and it's usually easier to get both bolts started while underneath. This is required on the W201 as you cannot access the top bolt from above. Screw bottom bolt up lightely, lower jack, tighten both bolts fully. Remember to put the heat shield back where it was.

On the gasser, you may have to remove the bottom bolt on the left side and jack the engine up quite a bit to reach the top bolt, as it's under the intake and when the mounts are really flat, it's quite difficult to get a wrench on it, even with a 2' extension! Fairly easy to reach when new.

Easy to check condition, too -- if there is less than 3/4 inch or so between the bottom of the hemispherical part's lower edge and the frame, or you find thick fluid leaking out, they are shot.

Peter