And at the top left in this pic you can see the vac spheres (a little larger than the spheres on the 123 wagon) of the hypersonic wind tunnels

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-351670-19.html

--R

Rich Thomas wrote:
In summers in college I had internships at NASA Langley, the first summer I worked in the Hypersonic Research Division, we had 3 or 4 hypersonic blow-down tunnels that worked by sucking air through the tunnel into these huge vacuum spheres that were pumped down between runs. It would take an hour or two to pump them down and the run time was like 30 seconds or less, depending, but enough time to get some good data (the crunching of which was my job, ugh). I did learn a LOT about programming in Fortran on CDC Cyber computers (or rather, understanding the error dumps when the programs crashed), which made me almost an expert in debugging when I got back to school. I actually designed a few little pieces of equipment that were still sitting around in the lab the last time I visited a few years later, probably still there.

It was kinda fun being around a bunch of old-time engineers who smoked like chimneys and cussed like sailors while working on some really cool stuff.

--R

relng...@aol.com wrote:
http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-351670.html

RLE