Finally had time to change filter and fluid in my '87 300TD.  It started
shifting funny a few weeks ago, I adjusted the Bowden cable which cured
a lot of that but the shifts were still a little uncertain at WOT.  So,
got the kit from Rusty/Gary and 7 qts M1 ATF at AutoZone and did the
deed yesterday.

In the bottom of the pan was a very small amount of black sediment, had
to look closely to see it, evenly distributed all over the pan.  I
changed the ATF 20k miles ago, put in M1 ATF then, and transmission
behavior gradually improved over the first 10k miles.  Is this sediment
a sign of pending death, normal, or the result of the M1 cleaning
action?

Shifting is back to normal now.  The 1-2 shift at WOT is the only fault,
it always happens early at 3500 RPM.  Shifts are a little soft by MB
standards, I may try to firm them up.

Very respectfully,
/s/
LCDR Max Dillon