I have EXACTLY the same thing happening on my 240D but on the other side!

I thought the bumper was glued to its mount somehow, it ever occured to me to
weld it. That'll probably ruin the chrome...

-Curt

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:39:22 -0400
From: Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: [MBZ] rear bumper falling off
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com

I'd been hearing some rattling in the back of the car for a few weeks,
been too busy to really check it out.  I have some junk in the trunk
right now so I though there was a good chance that was the explanation.

Today I noticed the bumper has become totally detached from the mounting
bracket on the left (driver's) side.  Looks like the welds just rusted
away, though there's no rust anywhere on the bumper otherwise.

Is this common?  Looking like another job for my cheap Harbor Freight
MIG welder.

Allan
--
1983 300D