It's not the pump but the little chain oiler that they cheaped out on
------Original Message------
From: Mitch Haley
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
To: Mercedes Discussion List
ReplyTo: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Why Gary doesn't like GM
Sent: Oct 18, 2009 05:37

Gary Hurst wrote:
> that sums it up.  that 2.2l ecotec was THE BEST 4 cylinder the general ever
> built up to that time, but the bean counters cheaped out for a few pennies
> and the chains were giving up the ghost on account of it.

I don't even see it as a cost-cutting measure, unless a larger oil pump costs a
few cents more than a slightly smaller one.
The annoying part is that the gentle drivers, who are used to getting 200,000
miles out of any piece of crap, are getting 70,000 miles out of pre-2004 Ecotec
engines because they don't rev them high enough to keep the oil pressure at the
maximum.

Mitch.