There is all of that, but mostly I think just because it looks cool.
BillR

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of MG
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:12 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Dome

Energy conservation did come into it. The dome provides an R
value of somewhere around 34-38 depending on how it is
calculated. That is over the entire surface. This works out
pretty good as the whole thing at 2,500 sq ft will be cooled by a
2.5 ton geothermal unit which will also provide hot water during
the cooling season for free. As far as passive cooling
considerations, for the short span of time each year when it can
be used, it has a cupola on the top, 5 sided with a 2'x8' window
in each side. Since they are about 24' off the ground this
provides a great place to let hot air out. However the main point
in it's favor is the wind resistance. This is a lot lower than
any other type of house from all sides with the possible
exception of a totally earth covered construction (cave).
Unfortunately since I live in Florida I didn't want to get into
the possible problems with leaks by being below ground even
though there are products that will probably do a lot better now
then there were even 10 or so years ago. Then there is also the
consideration that I wanted at least some kind of view and in
flat land there is no substitute for height, so dome.

Manfred