LarryT wrote:
I've got some Bosch parts manuals (from 1988). One is for things like points and distr caps. There's a cross ref in the back of each manual. I wouldn't say it's easy but it's possible to scan PN's and see how many different applications are covered by 1 PN. Of course, if it were to be a computerized list it would be much, much easier. (Obviously).

It's far from perfect, but Amazon.com has a "show me the vehicles this part fits" option. For example, my 2.4L Twin Cam engine is not listed for the Purolator PL14006 filter, but when I search the application guide at Purolatorautofilters.com, they tell me to use PL14006 in my car.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B000H81CC0/ref=au_pf_dp_chart