In my experience, even people whom know how to divide correctly and keep
track of distance and volume generally get the economy wrong by 20% or
more. Odometers are generally not very accurate, and there isn't much
consistency between the full tank shutoff at gas stations.

Both of my cars will often have a huge discrepancy between the odometer
miles/gallons from a particular fill and the more accurate calculation
from a long term average across multiple tanks of fuel, and using a
correction factor for the odometer.

A good illustration of this is on fuelly.com. Here is the page for the
190D (the '87 is mine):

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/190d

There are 4 190Ds, and you will see that they all seem to vary by about
5mpg between tanks. With my own car, I've tried adjusting this for fuel
quality and the type of driving, and found that it doesn't change the
variation much- it seems like mostly "random error," probably from the
pump shutting off at different levels.

Tyler