Gregg,
I am very interested in the 81. Can you hold on to it for me for a couple weeks so I can make arrangements to come get it? Any pics at all? I recently sold my 82 240D and really wish I hadn't. I would really LOVE to try to save that car if you could give me a little time.

THANKS, Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "G.E." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: [MBZ] FS: two very cheap stickshift 240D's

hello all,
After a lot of money and not having a working car for months, I am giving
up on trying to fix up the dud 240D I bought last year from darrell. It's
a total POS and even after a thousand dollars of work to try to get it
sellable to recover _some_ of the money, it still isn't ready for prime
time. I'm going to just get rid of it. I'm asking $200, local pickup only.
It's got some decent parts on it and very little rust. It's an '81,
stickshift, with alloy wheels and euro headlights. It kind of drives, but
the clutch won't disengage. I just spent another 400 bucks having the
master and slave cylinders replaced and the clutch still doesn't
disengage. so , if one gets it rolling one can jam it into gear and
drive it, but, well, don't stop on an uphill.

I'm also giving up on my other 240D, the one that served me well til the
clutch hydraulics failed, though it was burning tons of oil and it's
gotten pretty rusty. That car had the classic slave cylinder failure, but
i gambled wrong and put the money into replacing the clutch gear on the
other car, and frankly there's too much money sunk into these cars to
really continue. This one is an '82. The blue car is rusty, but it was
known working and served me for a number of years. I'm asking $200 for
this one, too. The tires alone cost more than that. The clutch and tranny
are very strong on that one, if anyone wants to do a manual conversion of
an automatic. I'd thought that when the clutch failed on the black car
(the '81) it was the same thing that went on the blue car, but apparently
the clutch on that one is hosed in more exciting and expensive ways.

Both cars are in Pittsburgh, PA, and if someone has a garage and a desire
for lots of W123 parts, this is a very cheap source. I won't deliver them,
and i won't pick and pull parts off of them unless it's really worth my
while. I don't have a working car so getting stuff to the post office to
ship is not easy now. Basically they have to get out of here, I can't keep
paying insurance on two dead cars.

Any takers? Otherwise, they go off to the shredder. scrap price is
almost $100 on them.

My years-long quest for a decent reliable stickshift diesel still
continues. I miss my Jetta. Poor car rusted literally to pieces, but
it was a great ride (and got 52 miles on a gallon of No. 2 on the
highway). The blue car served me for years, but darrel's POS hasn't gone
700 miles since I bought it's cost me  over $4500 altogether.

Anyone interested?

Gregg aka isildur
[EMAIL PROTECTED]