Tim C wrote:
Because of the CVT I can't drive it flat-out

Why not? Just because it isn't at a high RPM doesn't mean you aren't cleaning it out. You're still making power, which makes heat, which in theory is what cleans things out in the diesels at least. As others have said modern gas cars don't really carbon up though.

Will a synthetic oil help?

Did it have synthetic oil when you were getting higher MPG? The oil manufacturers claim you get higher mileage with the good synthetics. Also, make sure the dealer is putting in the correct weight oil specified in the manual. Newer cars are able to run on thinner oils, which increases fuel economy. Maybe by only a few percent, but all these things add up.

Some other things... Have you bought new tires? Depending on the tire, you can have a vastly different rolling resistance.

Are they inflated to lower pressures than stock? I've never had my car come back from a mechanic with a common tire pressure...

If there are underbody panels, are they still installed? Those actually make quite a bit of difference at highway speeds.

Has any weight been added? ie, do you have more "stuff" in the car like a toolbox or something?

HTH!
John