Wasn't the protagonist in 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'
driven crazy in his attempt to define quality?

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of ned kleinhenz
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 9:44 AM
To: Mercedes List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] trip to the local dealer

That word "quality" has too many definitions to be meaningful.  So I
don't blame MBZ for not talking about it.
To some  people, quality describes how many defects a new example
includes.

To other people (most of us) it describes how durable a particular model
is.
And still to other people quality may mean how beautifully the bodywork
and materials are put together.
And I''ve often associated the word with how robust an object is and how
much abuse it can withstand.
Remember the Ford "Quality is Job 1" campaign?  I have friends who
worked at Ford and were proud of it that movement.
But as I listened to them and thought about it, their definition of
quality really didn't mean much to the consumer.
Ford used a industrial definition that identifies quality as how
consistently any part, or assembly of parts, meet their specification.
So they could define their objective for a certain model to be a cheap
POS.

And if the final product was truly a cheap POS, they considered it top
quality.
Conversely, if that model performed better than a POS, it failed the
quality test.
So, of course MBZ is not going market the word "quality" when there are
so many ways to fail that expectation.

Ned