Back a few years ago, it was not unusual that an automatic update
broke things. I recall one particularly nasty one that killed 2000
Server dead. Microsoft pulled it, but not until after 1000's of
servers had to be loaded.

The last few years have been trouble free with updates (as much as
Windows can be), but I still don't automatically apply any updates.
Windows-7 now automatically updates everything including non-microsoft
software and hardware (if the manufacturer pays microsoft for the
service I suspect). Earlier this week the firmware in my ATI Digital
Cable Tuner got one and dropped the show it was recording - nice
"feature" :-(

-Dave Walton