As I stated earlier, my reference is in regard to engine design and not capacity.
The same goes for the OM616 and OM617, same design but different capacities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM616
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine
As you can see MB altered the capacity of thoses motors during their life cycle. Most people will agree that a 617 is a 616 with an extra cylinder but you may argue that because the cc/cylinder does not add up exactly they are not the same, except for an extra cylinder. Far as I know the 104 is a 103 block with a DOHC head, so I would not say they are the same.

Hendrik

Robert Bigham wrote:
 I can only be amazed at the depth of knowledge some of you have.  I only know
about 102.980.  OMG.

But 2299 cc is 575 cc/cylinder, and 2800 cc is 467 cc, and the 103 is not just
a 102 with 2 more cylinders.  QED.  Dunno about 104.