Just do what I do -- plug it in and then see if the car starts or not?  (By
the way, mine started today w/ two 45 second pre-glows at +3F today. And
some of you said my block heater was not working!

I don't quite agree with the folks who just want to listen to the gurgle. If
it is around freezing, then the block heater might be able to do that. I've
heard it myself.

My own experience (with a working block heater) is that if the temps are
really low, zero or even lower, the block heater is working hard to keep up
with the ambient temps, and you don't get the gurgle.

700 watts of heat will behave differently at 35F and -10F. It will still
throw off heat but has a bit more of a challenge at staying ahead of the
cold curve.

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM, LWB250 <lwb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why wouldn't you just plug it in and after about 30 minutes put your hand
> on the side of the engine to see if it's warm?
>
> If you have power to the plug then the heater is probably open.  A quick
> test with an ohmmeter or test light would reveal the condition....
>
> Dan

You are what you are now because you where then.