Curt -
Manfred is correct. The downside of not using a properly designed exhaust
system is that you may end up with a destructively lean mixture at full
throttle, or you may just have reduced power. While the reduced power is
likely not a big thing, the excessively lean condition can be. With whatever
system you end up with be sure to take a spark plug reading after a short
full power run to determine if the mixture is within range. If it is just a
bit lean you can likely either adjust the high speed needle valve or install
a bigger main jet depending on the design of the carburetor. If it
"blubbers" it may be too rich and the appropriate adjustments can be
performed to correct that instance as well. The best system for a 2 stroke
is what is called an expansion chamber. It consists of a divergent pipe,
like a megaphone, and then a convergent pipe, just the opposite, followed by
a small length of a small dia. straight pipe. The length and diameters of
each of these sections are somewhat critical but the cones can be ovaled a
bit and pipes curved usually without too much loss of efficiency. The
unfortunate part of these expansion chambers if they can be quite noisy. If
you have ever witnessed a 2 stroke racing motorcycle you will know what I
mean. The factory muffler is likely designed to try and emulate the
characteristics of the expansion chamber in a very small package. Very hard
to do without some fluid flow type engineers and a dynamometer. Your best
bet may just be to try and make a unit that is quiet as possible, take plug
reading and adjust the mixture, and live with any power loss. The secret to
making a quiet muffler is to rob the sound energy from the exhaust pulse.
This is done by trying to bounce the sound off as many surfaces as possible.
Often a "gun" type silencer will do pretty well which is basically a pipe.
With a bunch of holes drilled in it, surrounded by a chamber stuffed with
sound deadening material like steel wool or rolled fiberglass. If you use
this design the deadening material will burn out over time and will need to
be replenished. A more longer life method may be a series of chambers with
internal baffles that have holes with the edges deformed like a simple
cheese grater. You may have seen this used in automotive mufflers. By the
way, have you looked to see if there is a performance aftermarket exhaust
system for your machine? There may one available that is not too noisy.
Ebay? If you would like to learn more about 2 stroke expansion chambers and
their theory I just Googled "two stroke cycle expansion chamber design" and
got a number of interesting hits including some possible chamber design
parameter computer programs. Wikipedia had an excellent animated discussion
on how expansion chambers work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_chamber

I hope some of this helps out.

Barry