The clatter from the vacuum pump pushrod is from when the pushrod wears too short- usually from removing it and re-installing in the wrong direction, which wears the cam lobe and pushrod down. Then it hits the head each time and clatters. I made this mistake once, and had to replace the cam. The pump seals tend to leak oil, so people reverse the pushrod accidently while replacing the pump seal against the head.

I'm pretty sure the turbo and injectors are basically the same garrett T3 and bosch units as on my benz. If the turbos were new could they both have been defective- were they both purchased from the same place? Why were the old ones replaced? I've seen the origional turbos with 500k+ miles on them- they rarely wear out when used with synthetic oil, and a proper air filter. I've seen them make noise when the compressor turbine gets nicked by foreign objects if the air filter isn't installed properly, or if they're rebuilt wrong and not balanced.

I love the 700 series volvos, because the ergonomics of them fit me really well. Probably my favorite car model of all time.

Sincerely,
Tyler
1987 190D Turbo Biodiesel