On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The E AFTER a number meant Einspritz, the german word for "fuel Injection."

The same is true of old BMWs---the ones with an "i" on the end are
injected, and the ones without are carbed.  They used to stick very
strictly to their naming convention, just like M-B, but the system
started to break down in the mid-'80s, though, when the 325 model had
fuel-injection and had a 2.8-liter engine instead of a 2.5-liter.

Snook's new baby is a 740iL---7 body, 4.0-liter engine, injected, long
wheelbase, so it still holds by and large.

Not sure what the "i" stood/stands for, unless it's "inietzione,"
which I think I have seen on the back of Alfas.  ;)

What I really like is the badge on the back of some '80s-'90s
Cadillacs, about three inches long, which proudly announces
"ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION" in a very solemn serif typeface.  If
anyone finds one of those on their next PnP trip and sends it to me I
will gladly pay you a few bucks for your time---I'd like to stick one
on the back of the POS 300E.  ;)

Alex