I just wonder what they will do when they run out of letters?
Although it could be argued that the UNIMOG was the first to use the letter in front of the number.

Hendrik
with an executive class station wagen and  U1300L

relng...@aol.com wrote:
.....That's really weird, because the "E" (before this whole 'class' nonsense) meant fuel-injected. e.g. the 280 and 280E 123's, etc. I thought the class crap began when the flipped the letters and the numbers around...

The "class crap" began with the 1994 W202 which was the first C Class. C meaning compact. The 201s had been referred to by MB in their sales literature as "190 Class." When the 300E became the E320, MB called it then called it the "Executive Class".

The S class business is a lot foggier with MB now lumping even the 108s in that group although that's just recently for advertising purposes. Long lineage, etc. The letter S in the German car business has long been used to indicate the top of a line with more performance and a higher price. The 1967 911S is a good example.

RLE