Thanks Jim, I didn't have that tool so I used yours and it worked. There are no detent holes in the new radio so I removed the clips.

Harry

I cannot get both in without trying what I believe would be excessive force.

Then something's wrong.  But you know that already.

I've tried it with each going in first but those spring clips between them are not giving way.

The radio goes in first.  The spring clips detent into the matching
holes in the factory Becker.  Then the ashtray slips in, since the
clips are totally out of the way.  The clips are only for the radio.
If the radio won't go in all the way, likely it is cabling bunched
up at the back.

If need be, the clips snap out.  That's what you have to do with
a non-Becker that doesn't have the detent holes.  That's what I'll
probably have to do with the Becker Traffic Pro 7881 I'm trying to
install in the SEL.

Is there a tool that's needed?

Brain?  :-)

-- Jim