From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Fmiser
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:01 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mystery noise

> > "Rich Thomas" wrote:
> >
> > though a bad CVjoint will clack -- does it make the sound in
> > reverse?

> Allan Streib wrote:
>
> No, actually it does not seem to at all.

What you have described could be a CV joint.  But I'm not certain - not
without hearing/feeling it. Which is a bit difficult to do via email.

Usually I see leaking oil before the joint fails - but not always. Twice
I have had one fail with the boot undamaged and the oil still in it. One
of those manage to split one of the steel balls in half!  It made a
dreadful racket.

--  Philip