What I've heard is that dealers will keep the cars that they know sell
well as long as there is not a major problem (crash history, unusually
high miles, etc).  They might keep one or two more "exotic" cars to park
out front as attention-getters.  But if a car has been sitting a few
weeks, it's off to the auction.  They don't make any money holding
inventory.

I also know that little one-man used car lots open up and close down
here all the time.  Often times they're closed within a couple of months
of opening.  I think it's a very very hard way to earn an income.

Allan