Yes, two factory blocks it was quite an ordeal. I bought the 200D from the stealership in Memphis with a "expertly rebuilt engine" It was purported to have been rebuilt by the former head mechanic of their dealership. Four months later, I was on the side of the interstate with a dead engine. It turned out to have a turned bearing on #1.

I hauled it home., took the engine out, and that was when/how I became a Diesel mechanic. It turned out that every moving part in the engine was worn out, except for 6 of the 8 valves. I had to have the IP rebuilt; the shop said the body was worn the worst of any they had seen, and that was the last rebuild for that pump.

The crank was trash, #1 rod was trash, all 4 holes were worn oval, and beyond normal oversize, but they said the bores could be dry sleeved. Pistons were trash. When the costs were added up, it was suggested that we price a short block form the dealer. The price turned out to be less than the parts needed.

The block came in, the head came back form the machine shop. I assembled the bottom end, and put the pan on., turned the engine over and started to put on the head bolts.

One head bolt didn't want to start in the threads. I pulled the bolt out, tried it again. nothing. After a few tries, I pulled the bolt out and put a small screwdriver in the headbolt hole to try to feel what the problem was. The screwdriver would not go beyond the bottom of the head. So i finally removed the head, and laid the headgasket on the bottom of the head, to check the holes in the headgasket. All the holes looked ok in the headgasket. I looked over the block and all the bolt holes looked ok. I took a bolt and put it in all the holes in the area where i was having trouble, and all of them went in without a problem.

At that point, I was scratching my head. I set the head back on, and put a couple of bolt in at the front and back, then tried the offending bolt again. I lifted up the head, and then I could see there was no hole in the block fo that bolt. nothing. not even a scratch, just perfectly flat machined deck surface.

So I called up the parts dept ant the stealer. They told me it was impossible, and I was wrong, and then that I was crazy. When I insisted, it was real, they passed me off to the service dept. I went through the explanation again, was told it was impossible, and that I was crazy and didn't know what I was talking about. So I asked if I could bring it to show them, then they could decide if they could get the hole drilled and tapped. They finally agreed to that.

The stealer was 100 miles away. So I loaded up the block and the head, drove to the stealership and showed them the headgasket on the deck of the block, with one hole missing in the block. They all scratched their a$$es and shook their heads. In the meantime they had called the Chicago zone and asked what to do. I am sure the Chicago zone told them "impossible, you are crazy, and you didn't know what you are talking about," and the same about me.

They told me they had to take the block and ship it back to Chicago.

I was ticked, because i just wanted the hole bored and tapped. I wanted my car back together. A couple weeks later, I got the second factory short block, and put it together. After several months, It was hard to remember how the engine went together, but over time, i got it all figured out. That engine is still in the car.

Yes, I still have the second engine crate. I put hinges on the lid, handles on the ends, and it is an "early shipping crate" (furniture style) piece that has been in the living room, or on the porch of every house I have lived in since. The part number is 621 050 10 0xxxxx, with the last 5 being a serial number.

That was the last time I bought anything from a stealer, other than a few MB parts from dealers catering to MBCA members.