From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Peter Hertzing
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 12:46 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] *sigh* Spare Tire

I have been thinking about this very subject.  IN the past 1.5 million
miles of driving, limos and otherwise, I have had 1 flat tire - in my
driveway.  I am dilligent about walking around the car before leaving,
and fequently checking tire pressure.  What do you think?  In my miata I
am thinking about doing away with the spare.  During the same period I
have had a limo towed for overheating, (I wasn't driving it), a volvo
740 towed for fuel pump failure, my benz has been through a tranny but
no tow required.  What I'm getting at, is I no longer think that tires
are any more likely to need replacement on the road then many other
parts.  We don't carry a spare radiator or fuel pump (unless driving a
british car).  What does the collective group think?  With cell phones
you just call and get it fixed.

I recognize that you do run the risk of a $10 flat turning into a 100
repair.

Thoughts?

Peter