From: "Jerry Herrman" <jer...@san.rr.com>
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:19:51 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [MBZ] Sudden acceleration

So yesterday I heard what I believe was a public service announcement (by some
automotive engineer, I think) on the radio saying that the least powerful
brakes are going to easily overpower the most powerful engine.This suggests
that applying your brakes firmly in an unexpected acceleration situation would
prevent a catastrophe.

I'm thinking, on the one hand, of the California Highway Patrolman whose car
reached high speed before crashing and burning. Surely he would have applied
his brakes fervently. And witnesses claimed they saw smoke at his wheels
indicating he had burned out his brakes.

On the other hand, if we're talking about my 82 240D, a case of sudden
unexpected acceleration would merely have relieved me of the annoyance of
having to keep my foot pressed down hard on the accelerator to keep the car at
freeway speed.

Whadda you guys think?

Jerry
1982 240D