In Texas, the job title "Engineer" or "engineer" is reserved for persons
licensed under the Texas Engineering Practice Act.

Software Engineers, System Engineers, and similar persons identify
themselves publicly with The E-word at their own risk.  The Texas Board
of Professional Engineers will get an order aginst them and a civil penalty.

Just about the only exception is persons working for the telephone company,
who do not have to be licensed under tha Act.