Joy to the world the mouth of the south will be coming to your little backwater. OK so my hand has been forced, my daughter and some school mates (buddies in your language, which I must learn) entered a secondary school based competition and gained second place in the national finals. Which means they have been invited to compete in the international finals to be held in La Crosse Wisconsin http://www.fpspi.org/International%20Conference.html from June 10th - 13th. Anyway we figured that we might as well all go (Me, the missus, daughter and son) and have a gander at the US. Seeing all I know about the States is what I have learnt from Bruce Willis movies and he doesn't mention much about the nuts and bolts of traveling around the states, especially since 911. The original plan was to stay in LA for a few days and then fly over to Chicago and buy a cheap car (preferably with a star hanging off the bonnet (hood)) but looking into this a bit more has revealed that registration and insurance is a nightmare to get without a permanent US address, so we have shelved that idea and gone to plan B which is the choo choo train. I love train travel but apparently the anti smoking Nazis have been busy in the US and apparently now you have to row three miles off shore in order to light up, well perhaps not 3 miles off shore but I am led to believe that Amtrak has a no puffing in their cattle trucks policy and you can only smoke when the train is stopped and you are in a designated smoking area on the platform? Has anyone here used the train lately? Is it any good or is car rental a better option? For instance we plan to travel from Chicago to Milwaukee to visit the HD museum and a couple of breweries, there is a train service between the two but then we have to get around Milwaukee as well, spose they have public transport. So any hints on traveling or anything will be appreciated, our itinerary at this stage is LA for a few days - Chicago - Milwaukee - New York across to San Fran, down to Los Vegas (my 9 year old Son requested this one =-O ) and then back up to LA, with a few stops in between I guess.
I'll probably have more questions for you later, so pay attention :-)

Hendrik & Family
who really only wants to see a big Walmart (maybe make it onto the people of walmart site) and a huge Gunshop (sort of like this http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/gunvault.asp )