On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Redghost <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Plan a loop tour instead of the criss cross you have laid out.   Less
> doubling back will give you a better chance to see things.    Try LA to SF
> up the 101.  Then get on  Interstate 80 to ChiTown.  Three or four days at
> 80mph.  Do the competition then head east to NYC.  Go down I-95 to
> Washington DC, then on to SC until you hit I-40 and do the South and
> Southwest until you get to the turn to Vegas.  Back to LA.

I'm in total agreement with Clay here, except that if you have the
time I'd extend the route up U.S. Highway 101 to the southern Oregon
coast at least.  That brings you through the Redwood National Forest
which is like NOTHING in Australia and along some of the most
beautiful coastline in the world.  Between San Francisco and Los
Angeles is William Randolph Hearst's estate, San Simeon, which can be
a multi-day stop in itself.

Alex