Buy a Bosch. They are on the expensive end but well worth it. Very quiet, do a great job, and all stainless steel inside. I bought one about 1.5 yr ago from Lowes, they had some kind of rebate on them, $50 if I recall. I think they are made in NC too, so domestic manufacture with Deutsche engineering I guess.

I have bought expensive Kitchenaids in the past, the expensive ones have the same (poor) guts as the cheap ones. At one point after going through 2 of them I went to some dept store, found a really cheap one on the display floor, offered the sales guy $50 less than it was priced at, he said sure, got it for maybe $100 or 150, I wheeled it out, put it in, worked same as the expensive one but noisy, plastic tub, etc. I figured if they were generally disposable I would just get cheap ones and let them run til they died. But the Boschs are great, much much better than the cheap ones. They have different models with different basket deals that are adjustable or not, wine glass racks, etc. and different controls and cycles but you really don't need all the cycles.

--R