> .....No MB diesel came out of the factory with a water separator?  maybe
> so.  certainly none for the US market after 1960 or so had a separate
> device called a water separator.  However EVERY MB diesel has a well
> designed filter that pulls fuel off the TOP effectively trapping up
> to 8 oz or so of water....

That may be your theory but in practice it doesn't work worth a damn. I
dunno, maybe all that nailing from enlarged injector holes is music to your
ears and you consider it normal. I did not. I bought my '78 300D new and during
the warranty period (that's the first 50K miles) my dealer replaced
thirteen injectors, or later on, injector tips, because of excess diesel
rattle.
Caused by small amounts of water, they said. And the warranty claims were
approved because MB knew damn well that water could get into the injectors.
Just
about the time the warranty ended, I became aware of water separators and
the Racor in particular. I bought one, fabricated a steel bracket for the
left fender well for it and from that day on the noises caused by water damaged
injector tips were gone forever. I drove it another 70K miles.

Just to save some effort here, please, no advice about buying from high
volume stations or keeping the tank full to reduce condensation or any other
standard advice. Oh, and please don't mention Marshall's comments on the
subject.

My friend AC used to own a trucking business (about 15 KW semis running up
and down the coast and he told me that they all had water separators and as
a result he would finally replace injectors at about 700K miles.

RLE