I just replaced the exhaust system on my '95 E300D. I purchased a new replacement rear muffler, and intended to keep the cat and bypass the resonator with a custom pipe. Once the old system was dropped (original system with 199,000 miles on it - repaired several times by previous owner), it became evident that the cat was not easily repairable. I couldn't afford to shell out the $900 or so (street price) for a replacement cat, so I made up a custom Y pipe and tied it into the new rear muffler. With almost 10' of straight pipe before the muffler, it is EASY to understand the purpose of a resonator. I have seen a marked improvement in performance, especially at the upper RPMs, but I now get the dreaded "angry vacuum cleaner" sound under full throttle. I am planning on installing an inexpensive glass pack midway on the pipe to resolve this. All in all, I am very happy with the results.

If anyone is interested, I will post pics at www.wrxtra.com/Misc/Automotive/Mercedes/exhaust sometime today.

And, if anyone wants to know, this is of course a racing diesel that is off-road only, so I do not need the cat anymore...

J.B. Hebert

Current Vehicles:

'76 Ford Bronco
'78 Volvo 262C Bertone V8