On 4/11/2010 6:35 PM, Michael Esh wrote:
My experience would lead me toward exchanging the head. This is much less complicated than switching engines.
Mike
On Apr 11, 2010, at 11:29 AM, andrew strasfogel wrote:

I received an offer of a cylinder head from a 300td to swap out on my 1985
300td wagon with the sedan engine and incorrect head.  The point of this
exercise is to restore the car to a  true wagon with a functioning self
levelling system. First question regarding a used head is whether and how I can test it to tell if it's good. Another choice is among several running 300TD engines I could purchase. If I went that route I could sell my 300D engine, presumably, although perhaps the labor cost would be higher. What
are the other merits and demerits of either approach?

Andrew
1985 300 pseudo TD
1983 300 TD

And, you get to have a look inside at the cylinder walls etc.

Randy