> Some cheaper options:
>
>  http://www.add123.com/
>  http://www.checkthatvin.com/uni2/index.cfm
>
> These search the national motor vehicle title database.

Has anyone used these yet?  I'm curious how thorough the history is on
a real car.

In particular the first one does not seem to suffer from the pre-1981
limitation, I was able to get a record for my '77 - didn't buy the
report though.

> If you just want to check if a vehicle has been reported stolen or
> salvage, you can check the national insurance crime bureau site:
>
>  www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck
>
> Allan

Handy, thanks!  This one also doesn't appear to care about the VIN
length, but I don't have a salvage VIN to check that it is actually
doing anything.

-Tim