I can open it but what to do after that?  What do I look for inside the
case that would activate the motor even with the ignition off?

You never said what year it was from.  There are at least
five models of Hirschmann, and they're all different.  The
'86+ units (that have dash switches, anyway) run the motor
until it stalls, and keep powering it until the internal
timeout kicks in.

They're _supposed_ to run with the ignition off!  That's how
they retract when you shut off the car.  But once the motor
stalls (at full retraction) it should be dead quiet.

-- Jim