Like Stone-ham

--R

On 5/8/2010 9:07 AM, Curt Raymond wrote:
You can always tell somebody not from Maine because they want to go to Calis
(Ca-lay) which we call Cal-iss.

A couple towns over from where I live is Ashburnham which a high school friend
not from this area was convinced is called Ash-burnham. He based this on his
South American college roommate who had gone to a boarding school there.
Everybody around here calls it Ash-burn-ham with equal emphasis on each
syllable. I always contended that the people that live in a place know best
what it should be called.

-Curt

Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 18:23:11 -0700
From: Jim Cathey<j...@windwireless.net>
To:
  Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject:
  [MBZ] Names

Milan IL Is
pronouned with long I and emPHAsis on the first SyLAble

Even
names that might have legitimately been inspired by various
foreign
places often get a weird local twist on them.

We have Moscow, ID
near here.  Moss-Cow, or just 'scow sometimes.
Probably not
authentic.   Various Paris, XX?  Probably pare-iss, not
pare-eee. Tokio, WA is (I believe) toke-EYE-oh, and not anything
to do with
Japan, though its name could have come from that way.
(I don't know.)

--
  Jim