[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Based on on the response that I got to the post below, it seems as though the
cause of the ACC problems may be the control unit.  I believe the control unit
is original and has never been changed.  Any additional thoughts or ideas?

After looking around, it seems as though a "rebuilt" control unit is available.
 The ACC control units are rebuilt by Programa.  Does anyone have any experince with the
Programa rebuilt climate control units?  I seem to recall readig some negative posts
about Programa rebuilt climate control units for the W123.

Thanks,

-Steve

You REALLY do need to run the diagnostics listed in the manual before condemning the control unit. With many failures the system defaults to DEFROST mode. Could also be the vacuum manifold or some of the vacuum actuators (very likely to fail in an '86-'87 126/124 model car) that are not properly functioning. Read the manual to determine HOW the system works and perform the diagnostics to find out which parts are not operating as they were intended to operate. Throwing parts at the climate control system of a Mercedes is usually the most expensive way to solve the problem - and it actually may NOT solve the problem. The system is VERY complex and it does NOT operate in a manner that is intuitive to most people (especially people that have a background working on American or Japanese cars).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)