And if a lot of those hours are spent on long missions and relatively few take-offs and landings, that stresses the airframe less.

--R

On 5/28/2010 10:16 PM, WILTON wrote:
I seriously doubt that this one ever gets anywhere in the neighborhood of its max gross weight of 488,000 pounds as a research launch vehicle. Yes, lighter weight does significantly reduce stresses on it.

74 of the H models, like this one, are in active service by USAF; 18 were sent to desert storage at Davis-Monthan, AZ, about a year ago, and can be easily and quickly put back into active service.

When I was in H's in '71-75, they had only about 5k hours on them, including Chrome Domes (airborne alert missions); now, I think they have about 15k hours - still very "young" airframes when you consider that many Boeing airliners have 75k hours and more on them. That's why USAF can plan to use them for another 40 years.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Reames" <jwrea...@comcast.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] The Aussie invasion of Okieland

Wow.

I wonder if it (as a launch vehicle) ever carries its rated load capacity? (would that lessen airframe stresses?)

I'd expect that the ones that got heavier use (ie chrome dome) would be beer cans by now... (kinda like the earlier variants of the sky pigs...)

But they sure have built it well!

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net

On May 28, 2010, at 13:54, Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net
> wrote:

That's pretty cool. But the idea of a 40+ year old airplane still doing useful work like that is encouraging and disturbing at the same time...

--R