On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:20 -0500, "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Stamped" metallic CD/DVD (as in mass produced) should last as long
> as the plastic, but that's not exactly what I would call archival
> either.

Only if they are handled with cotton gloves and stored with meticulous
cleanliness.  This is the reason I think that DVDs are one of the biggest
consumer scams ever perpetrated.  I've had dozens of DVDs become either totally
or partly unplayable due to what appears to be a fairly minor scratch.  I've
never had a VHS tape do this, in fact I have some tapes that are well over 20
years old that still play fine.  I think this is mostly due to the VHS cassette
design which protects the tape when it's not actually in the player.

Yeah the picture quality of VHS is not quite that of a DVD but it's good
enough, and on the plus side you can easily skip the previews and FBI warnings,
no menus to fool with, and they work.

As a result I don't buy DVDs anymore, and I've never bought a single Blu-Ray
disc nor will I.