I did it on the 126 a few months back (did not need to, but how could I know?). There is a fuel line that screws into the filter, I put a wrench on that (much smaller) fitting and the screen filter turned right out. Of course it was then a bugger to get the fuel line fitting out of the filter, it must have been welded in there. That line fitting and attached line is one part, it then goes to the hard fuel line.

As far as fuel, I ran it way down, as far as I dared (and had a spare can in the trunk if I went TOO far), drained it out when I first detached the fuel line, into an oil catch pan, turned out not to be that much. Then only a little came out when I took out the filter, not too drenching but nitrile gloves are your friend, with a rag wrapped around your wrist.

Obsessing about it turned out to be worse than doing it,

--R